The Study function is the core function of VocabularyShop. It automates your vocabulary building process, removing the study management burden from you. Therefore, make it possible for you to focus your attention 100% on your learning. It has the intelligence to optimize the short-term memory to long-term memory encoding process in your brain. Thus, allow you to achieve the highest possible learning/memorizing efficiency.
Below are the major functions it performances, detail description of the Study function operation can be found in Algorithm section.
- Record and maintain the relationship (status) between you and each word in your database.
- Decide whether a word has been learned, and whether more review is needed for that word in the future.
- Schedule words for you to study or review in the most optimized manner.
- Decide how much time you need to spend on each word in each round of study/review. You will hear a special sound when a word passes the current round of study and is removed from the current round.
- Create a working list containing new words and review words according to the user selected session length, randomly present words from the list for the user to study, removing words passed this round of study and add additional words to maintain the size of the list.
- Dynamically create a new multiple-choice question for a word each time when that word is presented to you.
- Pronounce the word and read the multiple-choice question to you whenever you click them.
Below are the steps to use the Study function. You can also watch a video tutorial to learn how to use the Study function to build your vocabulary automatically. Please note, due to the rapid web technology development, the Online Info tab of the Dictionary Dialog has been replaced by the Online Info button on the Dictionary tab in the video.
- From VocabularyShop home page, click the Study icon. If there is no enough new words in your database, a message will pop up asking you to add some new words to your database before use this function.
- If there are enough new words in your database, you will enter this function, and a multiple-choice question for a word will be displayed for you to answer.
- Select an answer, then click the Next button.
- If your answer is correct, the next multiple-choice question will follow and you will go to step 3.
- If your answer is wrong, a dialog box pops up, giving you the correct answer, and asking if you want to look up the word in the dictionary. If your answer is “No”, the next multiple-choice question will follow and you will go to step 3; if your answer is “Yes”, you will enter the Dictionary Dialog of the current word.
- After you close the Dictionary Dialog, the next multiple-choice question will follow and you will go to step 3.
- As you continue, more new words will be drawn into your study. When there are no more new words left in your database, the Study function will stop and ask you to add more new words to your database.
- The Word Completed line at the bottom of the Study function page tells you how many words have passed this round of study/review and the Time Elapsed line tells you how long you have been running this function. When you reach your target, you can click the Quit button to exit the Study function.